Thursday, September 5, 2013

Florence, Venice, and Milan

SS: Beautiful Florence... This city may have the most impressive Duomo (cathedral) I have ever seen. As Lonely Planet states 'pictures don't do it justice'. The city is littered with massive sculptures, including Michelangelo's David, and every corner turns a new site to see. We crossed over the 14th century bridge that paints most of Florence's postcards, and took the very long way up and down and up again a hill that towers over the entire city to watch the sunset over this magnificent metropolis. 

There truly is no other place in the world like Venice. Thanks to my sister-in-law, we scored a bed at a 5-star hotel overlooking the Grand Canal for the few days, we spent days getting lost and riding the rivers in the humid 40°C heat wave. It was so hot that every single one of the 2 million tourist was sweating through their clothes. Yuck! Nothing feels better than a Frosty Punch (air conditioning) after a few hours of mother nature torture. Regardless, the tiny walkways, bridges and canals of Venice are mesmerizing in this city of love. 

Milan was one of the first cities I had ever traveled to when I was 21 years old with my good friend Karla. I clearly remember seeing the center square cathedral (Duomo) back then and thinking that it was the most beautiful white castle I had laid my eyes on. I was quite excited to see it again and see if it was impressive as I had remembered ... It is. 
Sadly though, as we strolled the streets of this fashion capital, I have no additions to my backpack. Not even shoes. :(

JG: The highlight of Florence for me was the Galleria dell'Accademia, which is essentially a Michaelangelo museum. The sculptures (some unfinished) are pretty impressive, and David is a monster of a work up close. We definitely have had our fill of churches up to this point, but the Duomo is one of the more impressive ones I've seen. Only downside to visiting it: it is swamped with tourists.

I'd never been to Venice before, and I can relate to the charm and uniqueness that people rave about. The city, much like our travel resources state, is really all about getting lost and finding your way again (a lot easier these days with GPS). Navigating the island via hundreds of bridges and canals, it makes for an interesting adventure. We didn't indulge much in the museums and such, but rather just took in the city by covering a good portion of the city on foot. And there's a picture-perfect scene just around every corner. And staying in a real hotel, and a swanky one at that, made it a nice capper to our time in Italy.

Milan was short-lived, but seemingly a nice enough city. Too large to properly take in for the day that we were there, but I can say the Duomo is every bit is majestic Sandy makes it out to be. Milan also marks about the tenth time (I'm low balling) I had pizza over a two-week stretch. I feel now I am a connoisseur. I can't really say it is categorically better than back home given a couple of underwhelming experiences, but it's pretty darn good.













































No comments:

Post a Comment