Friday, April 12, 2013

Detour

JG: Sandy suggested we rent a motorcycle and ride through the Sacred Valley of the surrounding Cusco area. Naturally, having never ridden a manual trans motorbike, I thought it was a fantastic idea.

Our tour took us through Saqsaywamán (home to giant 15th century Incan forts and the city's Fallen Christ); Pisac (sleepy town with some ruins, but we just cruised through the town); an animal rescue sanctuary in Cochahuasi (maybe the highlight); and through the surrounding towns Urubamba and Moray. Ten hours and about 150 km logged through winding mountains temperatures fluctuating about 20 degrees F - we are filthy and spent. And with the exception of Sandy barking orders my way on how to ride, it was well worth it.

SS: I'm not sure why I assume that someone who has never ridden before is totally capable of caring for my life. Luckily, I have taken my motorcycle course and was quick on the pointers - not barks. John even checked his masculinity into b**ch seat and let me ride for a while. Although he had to sit close as I wasn't tall enough to touch the ground and he had to be my legs when we stopped! So unsafe but solid teamwork.

The ride was tranquil. The saying "a picture says a thousand words" is the only way to describe our day and thankfully we have photos.

The animal sanctuary was amazing!! I'm such a sucker for those beauties. They had alpacas, South American camels, South American deer (they looked like midget North American deer), parrots, a turtle, a bunny, wild cats with gorgeous markings, and the highlights..... 2 pumas (no jokes please - pumas not cougars) and 3 condors. And of course the baby kitty that I carried around with me the entire time.

Shivering cold, bagged tired and with sore everything, we still managed to stop at the pub for a well deserved Pisca Sour (better than a whiskey sour) to commemorate our day.

One last thing - I had a day of inside snickering with my long stretch of time and close up view of John's recently new hair triangle "design" ... Still funny.





































3 comments:

  1. What happened to the discussion of not doing mental things.? Riding a motorcycle around cliffs... When you have not clue how to drive one..... Would be considered mental. No disrespect to Sandy mentoring skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! The shot of the shadow of you guys on the motorcycle. Brilliant. I am not even going to comment on the motorcycle driving in South America? where no one really cares about the rules of the road there. Be careful!!
    However, you guys are going for a very Motorcyle Diaries vibe here. A good movie to watch if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trip looks outstanding! Keep up the great updates and photos, we are really enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete