Saturday, April 27, 2013

La Paz

JG: Some cursory touring of La Paz so far, and the city is great. Chaotic but subtly civil - it's been nothing but good to us.

We tried some rappelling when we got here, which someone mentioned to us during our last stop in Peru. I guess I'd always passively wondered what it was like to scale an actual building, and so Thursday we got that chance - from 17 stories and in full costume, no less. Sandy took me golfing yesterday for my birthday, to the course known as boasting the highest altitude in the world (yes, it did wonders for the distance off the tee). I could think of no better birthday gift.

We're out of pocket for a few days starting tomorrow - doing some mountain climbing at nearby Huayna Potosi, which takes us up to ~6100m (just shy of 20,000 feet). This will be one of the more difficult things we do. Have I mentioned I'm afraid of heights?

SS: 17 story building!! Geez...
John dressed as Captain America and I was Catwoman, we successfully proceeded down the building like pros! Then congratulated ourselves over a few beers as we watched other scaredy-cats throw themselves out, secretly snickering.
All in all, La Paz is a pretty cool city. Great restaurants, easy to navigate, beautiful scenery, people are friendly, lots of adventure, and still really cheap!

JG: We searched far and wide for a costume of a Canadian superhero - there was no Mountie, Sasquatch, or Ogopogo outfits to be found, so she settled on Catwoman...


































1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday. Beautiful so far from what u share. I knee u would be saving the world some how just never imagined as captain America!

    ReplyDelete